The second meeting took place on 13 September 2021 and it was good to be back in person. The sessions have a quite different style now as we are now working around the screen on the wall and linking the sound through our speakers. Initially, there were some technical issues connected with the laptop but once this was changed, we could continue.
It was a member’s choice evening and demonstrated a wide not to say eclectic choice of pieces. The programme was:
- Rimsky-Korsakov arr. Lindberg: Concerto in Bb for trombone
(Christian Lindberg (Trombone), Tapiola Sinfonietta, Osmo Vänskä)
- Mozart: Clarinet Concerto, 3rd movement.
(David Shifrin (Bassett Clarinet in A), Mostly Mozart Festival Orchestra, Gerard Schwarz)
- Wagner: Siegfried Funeral Music
(Vienna Philharmonic, George Solti)
- Mozart: “Ruhe sanft” from Zaide
(Mojca Erdmann, Salzburg Festival 2006)
- Mozart: “Misericordias Domini”
- Shostakovich: Symphony no.8, 3rd movement.
(Leningrad Philharmonic, Evgeny Mravinsky)
- Hermann Suter: Le Laudi di San Francesco d’ Assisi
No. 2 (Sister Moon and the Stars)
No. 4 (Sister Water)
(Edith Mathis, Norma Procter, Eric Tappy and Fernando Corena, with the Basler Sangverein and Orchester-Gesellschaft, Hans Münch)
- Vaughan Williams: Concerto in F minor for Bass Tuba
(JáTtik Clark (Tuba), Corvallis-OSU Symphony, Marlan Carlson)
- “Playing a flaming tuba on Londonʼs South Bank”
- Jenny Pluck Pears, a Playford country dance
(The Broadside Band, Jeremy Barlow)
- Heidrich: Variations on a theme (extracts)
A range of pieces and genres with some rarities not usually heard.
We were delighted to welcome two new members to the Society.